Sunday, October 3, 2010

My Girl

From the time she was born, my Lily Bean has been what others call an "easy" child. She always wants to do the right thing and cares so much about other people even at such a young age. We have always said she is an old soul in a little girls body:) She is sensitive, intelligent, and an over achiever. Is it fair to label her as an  over achiever at age 5? I don't know, but so far, she has been.
The first month of 1st grade has been a joy for her and she loves her teacher and classmates. She came home the first week saying that they were "building up their reading stamina" and some of the other kids got in trouble for using "inappropriate language". It is still funny to me to hear these big words come out of her mouth but she does absorb everything she hears. She enjoys "walk/jog around the perimeter of the blacktop" in the mornings and says she is the only one in class that sits at her table during silent reading because it hurts her elbows to lay on the carpet. Mrs Kakacek announced to the class that she would be reading with the 3rd graders. She was thrilled about this! She made a list at home of all the chapter books that she has read since June and she came up with 16! My girl loves to read.
My girl also loved her kitty, Rocky. This past Thursday was the saddest night of Lily's life when she had to say goodbye to her beloved Rocky Boy. He let her snuggle with him for a good hour in her bed as she cried herself to sleep. She was such a huge help in taking care of him the last couple of weeks. We were syringe feeding him several times a day, she would brush him and love him, and Auntie Erin came over several times to help w/the fluids. I guess it is the risk we take when bringing a pet into the home, losing them is such a tough thing but it is also a life lesson for the kids.I always imagined having Rocky when the kids went off to college, he was such a special kitty and we will miss him dearly.


Lily is the best big sister that any little brother could ask for. She treats Jackson so well and spends so much time teaching him and playing silly little games with him. She does have her limits, as any big sis does, and showed this with this note on her door a few weeks ago:
Ha! Ha!
A few more pictures of our special girl:



3 comments:

  1. She is such a dear girl, must take after her mama ; )

    And I'm still cracking up about the "reading stamina" comment. Oh. And I'm sure my kid is the one with inappropriate language issues. SURE of it. HOT SAUCE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcy!!! I love your blog. I must admit these last few posts have me choked up, but I love to see what is going on in your lives down in Ramona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, your kids are just SO sweet. i love them to bits and am thankful that you all are in our lives!

    ReplyDelete